Law Offices of Julio Henríquez

Law Offices of Julio Henriquez is a full service immigration law practice committed to provide an individualized and highly professional service to all of our clients. Our multicultural team strives to welcome and support every client through their legal process. Attorney Julio Henríquez is an immigrant himself and a human rights activist who has worked extensively with migrant communities. With extensive litigation experience, winning immigration cases in multiple courts of the United States, Attorney Henríquez will provide zealous representation to your legal matters. He is well aware of the contributions that immigrants bring, the challenges that migrants face and the potential complexities of each particular case, which make it unique. We will look into your particular situation and opportunities, evaluate your options from different perspectives in order to take the route that best suits you and always aim to help you reach your goals.

What we do

Green card through family petitions (spouses, parents, children and siblings):

  • Family members of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs) may obtain legal permanent residence in the United States.
  • Filing for permanent residency also allows one to obtain an employment authorization document (EAD), commonly referred to as a “work permit,” which authorizes lawful employment in the United States pending a decision on the green card application.
  • In general, a person who wishes to immigrate to the United States must have a petition approved by the USCIS before applying for an immigrant visa. For family-based visas, the petition is filed either by a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident relative.


Fiancée visas (K-1, K-2):

  • The K-1 fiancé(e) visa is a nonimmigrant classification of marriage-based visa that is designed for the foreign-born fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens. It gives those foreign fiancé(e)s the opportunity to come to the U.S. with the intention of marrying their U.S. citizen fiancé(e)s who are sponsoring their visas.
  • The K-1 visa provides 90 days for the marriage to take place. After that, the foreign fiancé(e) can apply for an adjustment of status with the USCIS in order to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and receive a green card. The K-1 visa also allows for any dependents of the foreign fiancé(e) to come to the U.S. under K-2 visa status.

Visitor and business visas:

  • Business Visas (B-1) are granted to foreign nationals who are visiting the United States for a temporary time. As part of the requirement for this visa, the applicant must show that they have a permanent residence in their home country, which they have no intention of abandoning and that they are entering the United States  for a temporary period to engage in activity relating to business, such as:
  1. Attending conferences /conventions in the United States on specific dates.
  2. Attending training
  3. Business meeting
  4. Contract Negotiations
  5. Consulting with Business Associates

B-2 Visa: The visitor visa is a non-immigrant visa for individuals desiring to enter the USA on a temporary basis for pleasure or medical treatment. The B-2 visa is also known as the ‘Tourist Visa.’ Foreign nationals who wish to enter the USA for recreation and pleasure or medical treatment often use the tourist visa.

Student visas

  • The F-1 visa is for students attending a full-time degree or academic program at a school or university approved by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement in compliance with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). The F-1 visa is valid for as long as it takes the student to finish his or her course of study. An F-1 visa also allows students to work on campus and in some situations even off campus. In addition, F-1 student visas are eligible to apply for employment authorized practical training and after the completion of their academic program.


J-1 visas and waivers:

  • Available to non-immigrants who fall under the designation of “Exchange Visitor”. A J-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa available to aliens that fall under the designation of “Exchange Visitor.” J-1 exchange visitors travel to the United States through a Department of State approved sponsor program to teach, study, receive training, or demonstrate special skills. To obtain a J-1 Visa, your sponsor must be accredited through the Exchange Visitor Program designated by the U.S. State Department.

    Individuals who qualify for J-1 status, if sponsored through an accredited Exchange Visitor Program, include:

    1. Au Pair
    2. Camp Counselor
    3. College or University Student
    4. Government Visitor
    5. Intern
    6. International Visitor
    7. Physician
    8. Professor and Research Scholar
    9. Secondary School Student
    10. Short-Term Scholar
    11. Specialist
    12. Summer Work Travel
    13. Teacher
    14. Trainee

E-1/E-2 visas:

  • E-1 Treaty Trader visa: Is for Aliens who are citizens of a nation that has signed a trade and investment treaty with the U.S., who are coming to the United States:
    1. Solely to carry on or engage in substantial trade between his/her country and the U.S., including trade in services or trade in technology.
    2. Principally between the United States and the foreign state of which the alien is a national.

    And the E-2 (“Treaty Investors”) visa is available to an alien who is a citizen or national of a treaty country and who wishes to enter the U.S. solely to develop and direct the operation of an enterprise in which he or she has invested, or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.

H-1B visas:

  • For non-immigrant foreign professionals in specialty occupations recruited by U.S. employers for a specified period of time. The H1B visa is a non-immigrant visa designed to allow U.S. employers to recruit & employ foreign professionals in specialty occupations within the U.S.A. for a specified period of time. The H-1B program provides the opportunity for foreign workers in specialty occupations to legally live and work in the U.S. for a total of 6 consecutive years, and entitles their spouses and children (under the age of 21) to accompany them and legally live in the U.S.A. on an H-4 visa. However, the spouse and children have to obtain their own work visa for working.Under H-1B visa requirements, the company, organization or the employer is the petitioner. The petitioner must file an H-1B petition for hiring the employee, while the foreign worker is the beneficiary. Foreign individuals themselves cannot apply for an H-1B visa to allow themselves to work in the U.S.

L visa:

  • for temporary non-immigrant employees of a U.S. subsidiary or parent company. Applies to a person employed by an employer abroad for at least one year in the past three years in a capacity that is “managerial, executive, or involves specialized knowledge” and whose services in the United States are being sought in one of those capacities by the same employer in the U.S., or a parent, subsidiary, or affiliate thereof.
    1. L-1A visas are designed for intra-company executive transferees coming to work in the United States.
    2. L-1B are designed for professional employees with specialized knowledge. An example of specialized knowledge personnel would be an individual who possesses proprietary knowledge about a company’s product and who travels to the U.S. to impart his or her specialized knowledge to new U.S. employees.

    One of the privileges of the L1 visa, as opposed to many other nonimmigrant visas, is that it is a ‘dual intent’ visa. In other words, under the terms of the L-1 visa, the L-1 visa holder may apply for a Green Card and become a permanent resident without jeopardizing his/her L-1 visa status or their visa applications from a U.S. consular office abroad. Another advantage is that visa numbers are almost always current if the worker applies for a Green Card through EB-1C category. This means that the L-1 visa holder will not have to wait for visa numbers to become available before applying Adjustment of Status (I-485) and receiving a Green Card.


O visa for extraordinary ability:

  • The O1 Visa is for foreign workers of Extraordinary Ability in the fields of Science, Business, Arts and Athletics that are coming to the United States to render their services on a temporary basis for a U.S. Company or agent. This is an employment related status that allows qualified aliens to live and work in the United States. O-1 petitions may only be filed by a U.S. employer or a U.S. agent on behalf of the beneficiary. The O-1 visa is a dual intent visa, meaning that the beneficiary may simultaneously seek permanent resident status while in the U.S. on O-1 without worrying about preconceived intent issues.

EB-1 green card applications:

  • The EB-1 is the best and most desirable among all the other Employment-based Visas. It offers the quickest path to U.S. permanent residency, as it does not require the filing of a Permanent Labor Certification, usually a time-consuming and expensive process.In addition, visa numbers are always current for the EB-1 application category, so you will not have to wait before applying for Adjustment of Status and receiving a Green Card. Only three categories of people qualify for the EB-1 visa:
    1. Workers of Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
    2. Outstanding Researchers or Professors (EB-1B)
    3. Multinational Managers or Executives (EB-1C)

    For an EB-1A petition, a permanent job offer is not required; you only have to demonstrate that you will keep working in your field. However, EB-1B and EB-1C petitions require permanent job offers and a U.S. employer must be the petitioner for EB-1B or EB-1C petitions.

Asylum applications:

  • Under U.S. law, asylum may be granted to foreign nationals who are unable or unwilling to return to their home country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of:
    1. Race
    2. Religion
    3. Nationality
    4. Membership in a particular social group
    5. Political opinion.

U-visas for victims of crimes:

  • The intention of the U visa is to provide immigration relief for individuals who have been victims of physical or mental abuse in the U.S and are helping the law enforcement authorities in the prosecution of those responsible for the crime. In order for the beneficiary to qualify for the U non-immigrant visa, the beneficiary must show that :
    1. they are a victim of a criminal activity (as specified by USCIS).
    2. they have suffered physical or mental abuse as a result of the criminal activity.
    3. they or their friend/guardian posses information about the criminal activity.
    4. they are/were helpful, or are going to be helpful in the prosecution of the crime.
    5. the crime violated US Laws or occurred in the United States.

    The U visa is valid for four years and extensions are available in limited circumstances. The U-visa holder will also automatically receive work authorization in the United States.

T-visas for victims of traffic:

  • In order to qualify for a T visa, an individual must be present in the U.S. as a result of human trafficking. To be eligible for a T visa, an individual must have traveled to the U.S. because he/she was recruited, forced, abducted, or deceived by the perpetrator of human trafficking and would not have been present in the U.S. if it were not for the actions of that person.It is not necessary to demonstrate the individual “knew” that he/she would be subjected to forced labor, involuntary servitude, prostitution or slavery (or any other goal of human trafficking) upon his/her arrival. T visa provide the ability for principal applicants to apply for derivative visas for certain qualifying family members. In addition, T visa holders (and their derivative family members) may apply to adjust their status in the U.S. to Permanent Resident Status (a.k.a. ‘Green Card’ status).

VAWA for victims of domestic violence:

  • The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows battered immigrants to petition for legal status in the United States without relying on abusive U.S.citizen or legal permanent resident spouses, parents or children to sponsor their Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) applications. Through a self-petitioning process, the battered spouse/child may apply for immigration status without the knowledge or involvement of the abuser. Derivative status is available to certain children and parents of the principal immigrant. These petitioners will be able to obtain work authorization until they are eligible to apply for permanent residency.

DACA, deferred action for children:

  • Allows certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status.

TPS, Temporary Protected Status:

  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a temporary immigration status granted to eligible nationals of designated countries who are temporarily unable to return to their homeland because of environmental disasters, ongoing armed conflicts or other extraordinary conditions. TPS beneficiaries will not be required to leave the United States (while TPS remains valid) and may obtain work authorization for the initial TPS period and for any extensions of the designation. TPS does not lead to permanent resident status. When the U.S. government terminates a TPS designation, beneficiaries will return to the same immigration status they had before TPS (unless that status has expired or has been terminated) or to any other status they may have been granted while in TPS.You may currently be eligible for Temporary Protected Status if you are from El Salvador, Honduras, Burundi, Liberia, Somalia, Sudan, or Nicaragua and do not have any felony or more than two misdemeanor convictions.
Humanitarian immigration relief: